In the world of cloud-based phone systems, Google Voice ranks among the best. It offers an excellent list of services, affordable prices, and the opportunity to take your home or office phone with you wherever you go.
In fact, Google Voice may not be the best alternative to your mobile device, but if you’re someone looking for an inexpensive way to get a business phone or just want an alternative to your home phone, Google Voice is a great way to go. .
So if you’re wondering “how does Google Voice work?” Read on for our complete guide to Google’s cloud-based telephony platform.
What is Google Voice?
Since Google Voice is a VoIP service, it works only over the Internet. But that also means that wherever you have an internet connection, you can access the service and make calls, send text messages, and more. Best of all, you only need a microphone and speaker to use Google Voice, so if you decide to make and make calls on your laptop or smartphone, it will work just fine.
Think of Google Voice as a phone that you can take with you wherever you go and use it on any device you want.
How much does Google Voice cost?
One of the best things about it , is that it is extremely affordable. It’s a free service to sign up for, and as long as you use it to communicate between your Google Voice number and other US numbers, it’s totally free to make calls and send text messages.
When you want to make calls abroad, you will need to add credits to your account to pay for the service. In most cases, however, the fees are minimal and only a couple of cents per minute.
How does Google Voice work?
Is surprisingly simple in how it works and how it can be configured.
The service works over a broadband connection, so as long as it is connected to your home or office network, it will work fine.
When you first sign up, you have the option of using your own phone number which you can transfer to the service or get your own. If you choose the latter, you will need to enter your area code and choose the phone number of your choice. If you care about the digits of the phone number (for example, if you are a business and you want a custom number that people can dial), you can enter the digits you want and see if they are available.
Once you have your phone number (it happens immediately), you can create your voicemail message. You can then start making calls from your phone or your computer. You can also use the service to send and receive text messages.
When you receive a voicemail in your voice account , you can access it in the app and get a transcript (and recording) sent to your email.
When you receive a call, especially if you have your account forwarded to your cell phone, you will hear an alert that someone is calling the Google Voice number. You will then have the option to answer or not. And if you decide to call back, you can decide to have a Voice number appear on the person’s caller ID instead of their iPhone or Android device number
And if you want your number to ring on multiple devices, that’s perfectly fine. It is especially useful in corporate settings, where multiple people may want to answer the company line.
Can I use Google Voice on an iPhone?
As mentioned above, Voice works fine on Android and on the web, but you might be wondering if it will work on an iPhone too. Fortunately, Google offers a free application in the App Store that allows you to run Google Voice on the iPhone (or iPad or iPod Touch). From the app, you can listen to voice messages, make calls, and send text messages, just like you do in the Android app or in the browser.
How do I set up Google Voice?
If you want to set up Google Voice for the first time, you will be happy to know that the process is quite simple. Here is a summary:
1. Go to voice.google.com , click the Get Google Voice button, and sign in to your Google account.
2. You can register on your iPhone or Android device, but for the purposes of this tutorial, let’s opt for web registration .
3. Once you agree to the terms and service , click Continue to access the page where you can find or choose a phone number.
4. From the list of options, choose Select when you have found your winner and continue to verify your existing number.
5. In this panel, you must verify with Google that you have an existing number . Note that the number you enter here will be the initial line you will use to forward calls from Google Voice to the number.
6. Once you click the Verify button and enter your phone number, Google will send you a text message with a code that you must enter into Google Voice. Get that code and enter it here. Click Verify.
7. Once your phone number has been verified, Google requires you to tap Claim to officially take control of the number. Do that and you are good to go.